On the Property and Nearby:
There is a trail to an overlook of the river at the back of our yard. It does have a large drop off, so please watch your step and the trail may be muddy.
A nice ½ miles walk up our street, ends at Boiling Pots State Park. Peepee Falls is also located there. Rainbow Falls is just on the other side of the Hilo Hospital but you should drive to it. Waianuenue Dr. doesn’t have any sidewalks and can be unsafe to walk on.
Where to Eat in Hilo
We have many good restaurants in Hilo serving a variety of cuisines. Here is a list of our favorites. The book on the guest lanai has many menus for your to look at. All restaurants in Hilo are casual dining.
Places That Deliver:
- Pizza Hawaii
- Pizza Hut
- Dominoes Pizza
Steak and Seafood:
- Coconut Grill: 136 Banyan Dr. 961-9990, Good food. Go down the hill, at Bay Front take a right, go through town past Ken’s Pancake House. It will be about one block further on your left. It is on the corner of Banyan Dr. and Kalanianaole.
- Hilo Bay Café: 123 Lihiwai St. 935-4939, Good steak, seafood and sushi. Go down the hill, at Bay Front take a right, go through town and turn left at the light after the bridge. It will be on your left about ½ block.
- SeaSide: 1790 Kalanianaole Ave. 935-8825. They raise most of their fish on site. Restaurant is an old home with fish ponds around it across from Carlsmith Beach Park. Go down the hill, at Bay Front take a right, go through town past Ken’s Pancake House and it will be about 2 more miles on your right.
- Pineapples: 332 Keawe St. 238-5324. Down the hill, at Bay Front take a right,about 3 blocks turn right at Farmers Marker, it is at the next corner on the right. Street parking. Island Fresh cuisine, live music many nights and closed on Mondays.
- Café Pesto: 308 Bay Front. 969-6640. Down the hill, at Bay Front take a right, about 3 blocks on your right. It has tiki torches in front of it, next to the Farmers Market. Italian with a local twist. Most guests love this place. Good salads.
- Pahoa town has Paolo’s Bistro: 333 Pahoa Rd. 965-7033. About 40 minutes from the B&B. Very good. Ask and we will help you find it. Hours vary, call for reservations.
- Ebisuya Sushi: 178 Kilauea Ave. 961-6840. Down the hill to Komohana light, take a right. Take a left at the Ponahawai light, go down the hill to the Kilauea light and take a left. Street parking. The restaurant in on your left. Our favorite! Very good fish and prices.
- Ocean Sushi: 239 Keawe St. 961-6625. At the corner of Keawe and Haihai St. near the Palace Theater. Down the hill, at Bay Front take a right, take a right at Farmers Market, take a right at Keawe St. (one way street). Ocean Sushi is on the right about 2 blocks up. Street parking.
- Sombat’s: 88 Kanoelehua Ave. (Hwy 11) 969-9336. Down the hill, at Bay Front take a right. Take a right at Hwy 11, it is on your right. Very good and nice price.
- Hilo Siam: Mamo St. Down the hill, take a right at Bay Front. Take a right at Mamo (Farmers Market), on your right. Street parking.
- Yen’s Café: 235 Waianuenue. 933-2808, Down the hill, after the schools on your right. Very good, but small. Cash only, closed on Monday.
- L&L: 348 Kinoole St. 934-0888. Down the hill, turn right at Kinoole, first light after the schools. On your right about 3 blocks down. Good combo plates.
- Blanes Drive Inn: 230 Waianunue. Down the hill past the school on your right. Very local, fun to try.
- Ken’s Pancake House: on the corner of May front and Hwy 11. 935-8711. Our version of Denney’s with local food along with pancakes.
- Hawaiian Style Café: 681 Manono St. 969-9265. Down the hill take a right at Bay Front. Go over the bridge and take a right at the Manono light. It will be about 1 mile down the street in the shopping warehouse on your left. Large portions and good price.
- Miyo’s: 564 Hinano St. 935-2273. Good to make reservations. Local style Japanese. Down the hill, take a right at Bay Front. Go over the bridge and turn right at the Manono light. It will be about 1 mile down the street in the shopping warehouse on your left. It is at the end of the strip of shops.
- Zippy’s: 111 E. Puainako St. 313-8300, At our Prince Kuhio Mall. American style food, with local flair.